Tuesday, March 20, 2012

While we wait...

It's been a busy month since my last post - and I'm so thankful that it was because it helped keep my mind off thinking about when we just might get our referral!  I've done really well the past few weeks and didn't contact Nichole from Children's Hope one time to ask if she could see if there was any movement on the children's adoption decrees... until today :)  When I realized a month had gone by I sent her an email to see if it was appropriate to ask if there was any movement.  Hopefully, she will think it is and will ask their contact in Colombia to check for us.

So what has been keeping us busy in the meantime?  Teaching the children, an amazing week in Alabama, and working on our garden.  The kids have been doing great with their school work.  For the most part, I have the three oldest now working on their own - without my having to sit right next to them and instructing them.  Strange, I find myself having some free time during the day.  Well, free time from teaching the older ones anyway.  I'm still taking care of Lyric and doing things with her.  That keeps me plenty busy since she is now 4 years old but really, really likes to stay busy!

As far as Alabama goes, I don't think I realized just how much I needed (and the family needed) a vacation!  We really hadn't had one since we brought Lyric home in December 2010.  To be honest, I was starting to get a bit stir crazy and was not being nearly as patient with the children as a mother should be - and that's being nice to me! 

Playing in the sand and collecting shells
While in Alabama, we were able to relax in hot tubs, swim in pools, dig in the white sand and fly kites in the wind, chase the waves, ooh and ahh at an impressive naval aviation museum, explore the remains of Fort Morgan, spend time with the children's grandparents, and watch dolphins catch a ride on waves from our dolphin cruise.  It was amazing, and I am so thankful for the time we had there.

Since we have been back the children have been busy not only doing their school work, but preparing the garden as well.  Last week they helped me turn the soil over in three raised beds in which we now have lettuce, spinach, onions and garlic planted.  Not to be outdone - Kevin tilled the whole garden not once tonight but almost two times (once each way)!  He would have kept going but it was getting way too dark.  He did this with a very, very touchy and old rototiller, and I am so proud to have him as my husband!

Enjoy the pictures!
 
Sweet little feet


Celebrated Carissa's 14th birthday!  Laurel and I were on the beach at 6:30 am writing this in the sand!


Laurel kept sneaking up on this seagull - one gentle foot shuffle at a time.  She got pretty close!
Searching for seashells - that's about as far in as they would go in the chilly water.

I took this while exploring Fort Morgan.  The room was completely dark and we had to use our camera's flash to find our way around.  I love the look on Carissa's face as I surprised her in the dark.
This is my favorite dolphin picture.  It looks like the front dolphin is going to jump right out at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment